Contact lenses are medical devices that are mostly used for treating eye or vision problems. However, the trend is now prevailing among individuals with normal eyesight due to motivational marketing by cosmeticians, framing “Contact Lenses” as aesthetics and accessory for the same reason as glasses are worn. Contact lenses or contacts are worn by everyone irrespective of age. Contact lenses for adults and contact lenses for children are widely available in optical stores and are being widely used also. But the case of children is slightly different from adults. For children the general concern is regarding the handling, though there are other worries also.
Contact lenses for children:
- First thing that should be noted is that children should only be encouraged to wear contacts for vision problems and not as aesthetics or accessory.
- Children are free and careless in their activities so they need to be instructed in detail about use and handling of contacts.
- Take some time and discuss with professional opticians to choose quality and best material contacts for your children.
Is your child ready for contact lenses?
It is a question mostly asked by parents but the answer always is there with them. There is no age for using contacts. Even infants are fixed with contact lenses in acute cataract conditions. So, age is not factor effecting the lenses use. However, it depends on your personal observation of your child if he is responsible in handling things. If he/she is instructed, how much of the guideline would he/she follow? Is your child good in taking care of his/her personal hygiene? All these observations can help you make your final decision. And it is a fact that contact lenses for children are being sold parallel to contact lenses for adults.
Contacts or specs, is there a comparison?
Yes there is a comparison!
- If your children are active participants of sports then glasses would be hindrance in his clear and wider view of sports field. Glasses can break while running or playing and cause injury and also hinder your kid’s sports passion.
- Glasses are symbolled as nerdy or geeky, although a lot of people might like such outlook. Kids have different point view. They feel reluctant to wear glasses and loose some confidence. Research shows that children are seen happier with contact lenses as they don’t change their appearance. So contact lenses are confidence boosting for your children.
- Orthokeratology is gas permeable contact lenses technique. These lenses allow air to penetrate through them. These lenses are used as temporary reshaping agent of cornea to help with myopia, hyperopia and other eye conditions.
- Children have high moisture in their eyes which is uncommon in adults. So where contact lenses for adults need regular moisture drops to protect form drying, children eyes’ natural moisture suffice for that requirement.
- Develop confidence in your children to handle their contacts and how to use them properly. No rubbing of eyes to avoid infection or exposing contacts to water of lenses are some knowledgeable facts that needs to share with kids.
Children and lenses should be a responsible, happy occasion.
Check this link and know how to find the right contact lenses: http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/contact-lenses-colored-soft-hard-toric-bifocal.